HagelToast - tales from a tiny kitchen

Strange to see how a good dinner and feasting reconiles everybody. Samuel Pepys

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

quiet time

Sorry about the lack of recent posts on this blog, I have been baking a bit, but I haven't generally been as happy with the results.
Non the less I did a coffee and blueberry cake a week or so ago that i really enjoyed.
Basic Principles, y'know flour, margerine, sugar and eggs, but I used demerara sugar, dark and soft. I then poured hot water on instant coffee, only about 1/4 cup of water with plenty of coffee and mixed it all in. Then stirred in some dried blueberries and threw it in a loaf tin and into the oven. I am not sure if I took pictures of this one, i will look later and let you know.

On the subject of food, The White Hart where we stayed on our Jaunt at the weekend served fantastic food. At lunchtime we just had baguettes with cold fillings, I went for cheese and onion, M had ham, but they warmed the bread, it was lovely and soft and tasty!! Then at dinner, we had a proper meal. M's ribeye steak dissapeared completely and the fries he had were the best ever, I think they must have just washed, chipped and deep fried the potatoes with out peeling them, at any rate i may well purchase a deep fat fryer this weekend, they were that good!!! I went for spicy meatballs on spaghetti, the meatballs were wonderful, real pieces of meat, fresh and delicious!! i am dubious about meatballs and burgers and the ike, although i love them occasionally for a really grubby sort of treat, but these were perfect, and then we shared a piece of white chocolate cheesecake with blueberry compote, yummmmm. I am sorry to say i didn't take pictures of this meal. But we shall be eating there again soon and I shall try to get photos for you.

In the meantime, check out this blog by the author of The Julie/Julia Project.
http://juliepowell.blogspot.com/

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home